Dr. Martinez’s ASAP procedure has resulted in superior patient outcomes including one of the lowest documented recurrence rates in the world.
Your eyes are often the first thing that people notice about you.
Having a Pterygium may affect your self-esteem and confidence level which may affect your life and relationships. This procedure is often life-changing to our patients, helping to improve their self-confidence, self-esteem and often allows people to move forward in living their best life.
Depending on the patient’s cosmetic goals/desires and the severity of the condition, surgery to remove their Pterygium is often the patient’s first choice. Additionally, our clinical research shows that earlier surgical suite removal results in better clinical and cosmetic outcomes.
Dr. J. Alberto Martinez has a true passion for patients affected by Pterygium, and he is completely empathetic in your journey – as he too has a personal story with Pterygium that you may read here.
The most important consideration when thinking about any surgery or procedure is choosing the best, most experienced and highly skilled surgeon. In choosing Dr. Martinez, you may feel confident as he is one of the most widely sought after surgeons for Pterygium. He has performed over 12,000 Pterygium surgeries, typically performing 300 to 400 procedures a year in our newly constructed, and complete state-of-the-art office-based surgical suite. Dr. Martinez is a sought after specialist in the advancement and development of innovative and revolutionary surgical techniques and he has a Pterygium clinical research arm as part of his practice.
About The ASAP™ Procedure
- The operative eye is completely numbed using eye drops before the procedure in order to avoid any discomfort or pain during the procedure.
- Incredibly successful, advanced autograft technique using tissue ‘glue’ for a no-stiches approach to the Pterygium removal procedure.
- The abnormal corneal tissue is removed and replaced with a thin graft of normal tissue.
- No-stitch pterygium surgery is made possible by the use of modern tissue adhesive composed of clotting proteins normally found in human blood. Tissue adhesive allows the surgeon to secure a conjunctival autograft in seconds rather than minutes. After about one week the tissue adhesive dissolves, leaving no residue and the eye heals comfortably.
- An amniotic membrane will be placed in the eye to aid the healing process and decreases inflammation. Because of its proven ability to prevent scar tissue, it is used to reduce the chance of regrowth after Pterygium removal to less than 1%.
- The ASAP™ procedure has endlessly evolved over the years with one of the lowest recurrence rates in the world – 0.06% and with excellent cosmetic results.
How The ASAP Procedure Can Benefit YOU
- Clearly Different and Backed by Clinical Research
- Best technique – meticulously cultivated over the years
- More comfortable for the patient and little to no pain
- In-office surgical suite with state-of-the-art technology
- Shorter recovery – return to work within 1-2 days after surgery
- Excellent results both clinically and cosmetically
- Reduced risk of Pterygium recurring, one of the lowest rates in the world
- Covered by insurance and significant self-pay discount offered
The Eye White Institute, part of Visionary Eye Doctors, was developed to promote clinical research. Numerous clinical studies involving thousands of patients undergoing pterygium removal surgery have been presented at local, national and international conferences, showing the skill of the surgeon and the innovative techniques employed can reduce the chance of recurrence to significantly less than 1%.
When the topical anesthetic wears off, there may be a little pain for a day or so. Initially, your eye may be red and it may feel scratchy or gritty for a period of days, eyes may be a bit dry, sensitive to light and you may notice more blood vessels or redness. Dr. Martinez will prescribe eye drops and ointment to be used starting 3 days before surgery and also over the next few months. You will have a follow-up appointment scheduled the next day and another follow up in two weeks.
It is extremely important to keep the eye very clean and covered with an eye patch for the first day. We will remove it during your appointment the next day. You should cover your eye with the patch when you sleep or are in a dirty environment for at least 1 month after surgery. In addition, sunglasses with extensive sunlight protection, available at our office, are recommended for any outdoor activity to minimize sensitivity to light and further UV damage. The greatest risk period for infection is about two to three weeks, so you should refrain from using any eye makeup, heavy lifting, swimming, hot tubs, or dusty or dirty environments during this time.
If any emergency arises, our office can be contacted 24 hours a day at (301) 896-0890.
The whiter eye results are often visible within 4 to 6 weeks or within a few months after the procedure, and typically whiter white in about 4 to 6 months. Initially, you may feel a bit of a scratchy sensation for a period of days, eyes may be a bit dry, sensitive to light and you may notice more blood vessels or redness.
Insurance and Cost of the ASAPTM Procedure
Pterygium removal is typically covered by most insurance providers. Please click here for insurance and payment information.